It has been a fun year to watch NCAA Hockey, especially if you are a Spruce Kings fan. The Spruce Kings alumni currently playing College Hockey have been really excelling at the higher levels whether it is scoring their first career goals, or making spectacular saves.
Here is a look at the Spruce Kings Alumni currently in the NCAA this season.
Lucas Vanroboys (’18-’19) Sophmore – Bentley University
- Vanroboys is currently in his second season with Bentley. The Thamesville, ON product has suited up for 5 games with the team this season. Vanroboys finished the 19-20 campaign with two goals and six assists in 32 games played.
Jay Keranen (’17-’19) – Sophmore – University of Michigan
- Keranen recently just scored his first career collegiate goal with the wolverines. Kernanen is in his second year with the club, and has suited up six times so far with the University of Michigan.
Layton Ahac – (’17-’19) – Sophmore – The Ohio State University (VGK ’19)
- Ahac also tallied his first collegiate goal a few weeks back. The Vegas Golden Knights draft pick already has six points in his clubs first 12 games.
Liam Watson-Brawn (’16-’19) Sophmore – Colgate University
- Watson-Brawn is also in his sophomore year at Colgate. The long time tenured Spruce King is currently battling an injury, and has just suited up for one game this season. LWB played 32 games with Colgate in 2019-20.
Ethan De Jong (’16-’18) – Junior – Quinnipiac University
- The third-year wildcat has been putting up good numbers every season. De Jong currently sits with six goals and six assists in the team’s first 13 games. De Jong has a combined 23 goals and 32 assists in his time with Quinnipiac.
Nick Bochen (’18-’20) – Freshman – Quinnipiac University
Bochen is in his first year at the NCAA level. The smooth skating blue liner has also tallied his first collegiate goal.
Dylan Anhorn (’17-’19) – Sophmore – Union College
- Anhorn is in the Ivy League conference which has been forced to shut down due to Covid-19. Anhorn finished the 2019-20 campaign with six goals and 10 assists in 37 games. Anhorn was also named to the ECAC all-rookie team.
Kyle Johnson (’15-’18) – Junior – Yale University
-The former Spruce King captain is also being sidelined this year due to Covid-19. Johnson has played a combined 21 games with Yale in his first two seasons.
Ben Poisson (’16-’19) – Sophmore – University of Maine
- Another former Spruce Kings captain has had a start to remember thus far. Poisson has four points in his team’s first six games of the season. In 2019-20, Ben had eight points in 34 games played.
Logan Neaton (’18-’19) – Sophmore – University of Massachusetts-Lowell (WPG ’19)
- The Winnipeg Jets draft pick is currently in his second season at U-Mass Lowell. Neaton has been in two games thus far, and sports a .867 save percentage.
Ben Brar (’16-’19) – Sophmore – Merrimack College
- Brar is also heading into his second season at Merrimack. Brar finished the 19-20 campagin with five goals and five assists in 32 games played. Brar’s former teammate Corey Cunningham has also committed to Merrimack college.
Nicholas Poisson (’18-’20) – Freshman – Providence College
- Poisson is in his freshman season with Providence in the Hockey East conference. Poisson recently scored his first collegiate goal against U-Mass Lowell and has three points in the teams first nine games.
Patrick Cozzi (’17-’19) – Sophmore – Colorado College
- Cozzi has already matched his point total in his sophomore season at Colorado College. In 34 games last year, Cozzi had four assists. This season, Cozzi sits with one goal and three assists in 12 games thus far.
Max Coyle (’18-’19) – Sophmore – Bowling Green University
- Coyle enters his second season in the NCAA. Due to the uncertainty of the Hockey program at Alabama Huntsville, Coyle ended up choosing to play at Bowling Green University this season. Coyle has one assist in the teams first 10 games.
Dustin Manz (’17-’19) – Sophmore – Lake Superior State University
- Manz is in his second season with Lake State. Manz capped off the 2019-20 season with two goals and seven assists in 40 games played.
Spencer DenBeste (’18-19’) – Freshman – Lake Superior State University
Spruce Kings alumni Spencer DenBeste joins Manz at Lake State for his freshman season. DenBeste was a member of the 2019 championship Spruce Kings team. He scored twice in 17 games with the club. DenBeste has suited up in one game this season at Lake Superior.
Evan DeBrouwer (’17-’18) – Junior – Arizona State University
-DeBrouwer has been sensational as of late at ASU. The goaltender from Blenheim, ON has played 11 games for the Sun Devils in 20-21, and sports a 3.57 GAA along with a .903 save percentage.
Preston Brodziak (’19-’20) – Freshman – Long Island University
- Brodziak is in his first collegiate season at the NCAA’s newest Hockey program at LIU. Brodziak has one goal and one assist in the team’s first five games this season.
Nolan Welsh (’17-’20) – Freshman – Long Island University
-The former Spruce Kings captain is also in his first year with LIU and actually is roommates with Brodziak. Welsh has three assists in five game thus far. One of those assists was on the game winner in the team’s first game of the year.