Meet the 1958-59 Mohawks!
Back Row – Left to Right – Ernie Rucks (Coach and Player) Gord Smetnuck (Captain), Bill Lee, Ken Clay
Middle Row – Left to Right – Dave Bellamy, Orv Claffey, Larry Allen, Steve Bizicki, Doug Sims
Front Row – Left to Right – Maurice Clark, John (Jay) Hunter, Jack Larkins, Gord Cruickshank, Bruce Lilley
Bruce Lilley (a member of the team), was the son of Carl Lilley. Carl has the distinction of winning the “Name The Team” contest whereby the Mohawks got their name. They switched names after the roof caved in of heavy snow load in Febraury of 1956. The team at the time was called the Lumbermen. It was a privately run club that folded in that spring. They finished that season outdoors at the Old Arena Site but with not much for seating, it did not end up working.
The Mohawks started the 57-58 season outdoors as well but the new Coliseum was due to open before the season ended and did so in February of 1958. The season of 1956-57 had a few exhibition games wearing sweaters that had the name “TIMBARS’ on them.
Fun Fact: Longtime Scorekeeper, player and member of the Prince George Sports Hall of Fame, Orv Claffey was a real collector and he donated his Mohawks collection to the Exploration Place.
INFO SUPPLIED BY | Pat Keough